Twenty-first century businesses face tax and accounting rules that change at a faster and faster rate every day.
The challenge is to be aware of the changes that can impact your business. Atkinson & Co. prides itself on providing our clients with the most current rules and regulations affecting economic activity in locales where they operate.
Our tax specialty services provide a competitive advantage. Our expert team of tax and consulting professionals can help you navigate new regulations to best serve your needs. Moreover, we can help you uncover statutory credit and incentive opportunities to drive additional cash flow.
Our full spectrum of specialty tax services includes:
Federal Credits & Incentives
- Tangible property consulting
- Cost segregation studies
- Real property consulting
- IRC Section 1031 - Like-kind exchange analysis
- IRC Section 179D - Energy efficient building consulting
- R&D tax credits
- Work Opportunity Tax Credits (WOTC)
- Indian Employment Credits
State and Local Tax (SALT)
- Sales and use tax
- State income tax
- Property tax
- State credits
- Economic development tools and incentives
We are focused on identifying deductions and credits to help your business not only stay in compliance, but make it easier to thrive and grow.
Federal Credits & Incentives
- Navigating the new Tangible Property Regulations can be confusing. Our team provides easy to use tools to help classify an expenditure as a repair, supply, or capital asset.
- Cost Segregation studies break down a property into identifiable asset classes that not only help taxpayers comply with the new Tangible Property Regulations, but also generate increased cash flow and minimize income tax in the short-term. With the answer to five easy questions, our team can provide a cost benefit analysis detailing tax benefits by year, by asset class.
- Included in our Real Property consulting list of services is the analysis required under IRC §1031. The Like-Kind Exchange rules can be complicated, and become even more so when a Cost Segregation study has been performed. Our team can expertly identify pitfalls to achieving the desired results.
- Increased focus on preserving our environment makes going “green” the new cool! The IRC §179D Deduction provides taxpayers with an above-the-line tax benefit up to $1.80 per square foot. Our specialized team of professionals can help you determine whether this deduction works with your building’s construction.
- The R&D Tax Credit is becoming a more popular economic development tool and one that will hopefully be made permanent by Congress. This credit is geared toward businesses that thrive on innovation and creativity, and can be used to offset Federal income tax. Because the R&D Tax Credit is part of the General Business Credit group, any unused portion of the R&D Tax Credit can be carried forward up to 20 years.
- WOTC is an acronym used to describe a Federal Employment Credit. It’s goal is to encourage companies to hire specifically identified groups of workers that have faced barriers to employment. These groups have included veterans, ex-felons, SSI recipients, TANF recipients, and SNAP recipients. Restaurants, retail, hospitality, and healthcare are a few of the industries that typically can benefit from WOTC. Our team can review your employment metrics to see if this credit can be useful to your business.
- The Indian Employment Credit is intended to provide businesses with an incentive to hire certain individuals who live on or near an Indian reservation. Economic development arms of tribal entities can skillfully utilize this incentive to create opportunities for workers in Indian Country. Many of our team members have extensive experience working with businesses on Native American lands.